Windows Embedded is Microsoft’s embedded operating systems product group.
Here’s a brief look at some of the Windows Embedded operating systems:
- Windows Embedded Industry is designed for machines like point of sale (POS) terminals, automated teller machines (ATMs) and self-service check-outs.
- Windows Embedded Compact, formerly known as Windows CE, is designed for consumer electronics, such as gaming consoles, digital media receivers and set-top boxes.
- Windows Embedded Automotive is a variation of Compact for embedded systems in cars.
- Windows Embedded Pro is designed for intelligent systems: machines with embedded Internet-connected devices that gather data, analyze it and communicate with other systems.
- Windows Embedded Standard is a modular operating system that allows users to make choices about various implementations within their environments.
- Windows Embedded Handheld is designed for portable devices like those used in retail, manufacturing and delivery companies.
- Windows Embedded Enterprise is for embedded systems in industrial devices.
- Windows Embedded Server and Windows SQL Server for Embedded Systems.