By submitting your personal information, you agree that TechTarget and its partners may contact you regarding relevant content, products and special offers.
Windows Embedded is Microsoft’s embedded operating systems product group.
Here’s a brief look at some of the Windows Embedded operating systems:
- Windows Embedded Industry is designed for machines like point of sale (POS) terminals, automated teller machines (ATMs) and self-service check-outs.
- Windows Embedded Compact, formerly known as Windows CE, is designed for consumer electronics, such as gaming consoles, digital media receivers and set-top boxes.
- Windows Embedded Automotive is a variation of Compact for embedded systems in cars.
- Windows Embedded Pro is designed for intelligent systems: machines with embedded Internet-connected devices that gather data, analyze it and communicate with other systems.
- Windows Embedded Standard is a modular operating system that allows users to make choices about various implementations within their environments.
- Windows Embedded Handheld is designed for portable devices like those used in retail, manufacturing and delivery companies.
- Windows Embedded Enterprise is for embedded systems in industrial devices.
- Windows Embedded Server and Windows SQL Server for Embedded Systems.
See a video demo of Windows Embedded for intelligent systems in point-of-sale terminals: